Saturday, August 22, 2009

English

This might be going a little off topic, but I've wanted to talk about this for some time, so I'm going to exercise my power as the owner of this blog, and post whatever I want for today.

I have this pet peeve for obvious and consistent improper/weird uses of English, especially if the speaker/writer has perfect command of the language otherwise. And in fact, this does have something to do with the MBA. Since a large number of students come from places other than North America, it might help straighten out a few things and potentially avoid confusion that may cause other people when they hear certain odd phrases for the first time. Or it might not help. I dunno. I just wanted to vent a little. :p

1. You did not "pass out" from undergrad, and you're not going to "pass out" now.
You graduated. And you will graduate from the MBA. You've probable had a few episodes of passing out, but you don't use the phrase when you actually mean graduate.

2. You did not "give" the GMAT. You took it.
The GMAC gives the GMAT. Not you. You take the GMAT. A student takes exams, giving exams is the teacher's job.

3. You don't have a "query". You have a question.
This does not cause as much confusion, but whenever I see "query", I think of SQL. In the context of normal langauge (as opposed to computer language), you have questions instead of queries.

4. Sign up for "the same".
Again, does not really cause as much confusion as it causes me personal misery. Haha. A classic example: we have an event next week, please sign up for the same. We don't need to sign up for "the same", we simply need to sign up. If we have to sign up FOR something, we can simply sign up "for it". Why not save a few keystrokes.

I feel better now that I've gotten it out of my system. I might even add more items as I think of more. But for now, bed time.

Added Aug 24, 2009:

5. I must be knowing
Classic example: you must be knowing that we have a class tomorrow. I'm not knowing. I just know. I must know that we have a class tomorrow. Correct me if I'm wrong, I think in general we tend to use "be doing" more when the doing is an actual action that we do. Example: we'll be going around collecting money. "Knowing" is not something you physically do.

Added Aug 25, 2009 (the list just keeps growing...):

6. Very less
"Less" is a comparative adjective, which means you don't stick "very" in front of it. What you mean to say is "very little" or "very few", depending on the noun you wish to qualify. For example, "very little quantity" or "very few units sold". Of course, "much less" is perfectly fine to say, but from my experience, people almost never mean "much less" when they say "very less".

5 comments:

  1. LOL, we all dealt with "the same." ;)

    Definitely worth a rant.

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. There aren't that many students at Queen's who are like what you described, right?

    I'd be very worried if that was the case.

    E

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to read:

    "Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation"
    by Lynne Truss
    (ISBN 1-592-40203-8)

    It would be right up your alley.

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi BizGirl,

    I tried emailing this to you, but got a System Administrator email saying it was invalid. So i'm just going to cut and paste it here.

    I was reading through your MBA posts dating back from when you were taking the GMAT up to now.
    Seems like you've accomplished a lot. Congratulations on doing so well on the GMAT!!

    I am actually studying for the GMAT now, and am scheduled to take it on Sept. 28th.
    Like you, I started studying for it last year (through Princeton Review), but didn't take it.
    This time, I've buckled down and am determined to at least give it a try…even if I don't score well.

    Anyway, I had a few questions regarding the Queen's MBA program that I was hoping you might be able to answer.

    I have done extensive research on the different schools. I've already written the essays for all the programs I plan on applying to (I just have to get them edited).

    Would you happen to know anything about the Queen's Accelerated MBA for Business Graduates?
    I know your in the Queen's FT MBA program, but I imagine you meet the whole class of 2010 at the beginning of the year during orientation, and surely there are some that are in the Accelerated program.

    I would love to do the Full Time MBA @ Queen's, but I don't think my grades and perhaps my GMAT score will be competitive enough to get accepted. And it pricier to move in to Kingston.
    I know the main diff between the FT MBA and the Accelerated Program is you can take it at locations w/in the GTA through videoconferencing. Classes are only on Sundays and Mondays, and you can work full time while going through this program.
    I plan on quitting regardless as I am trying to get out of my field of work now. (But was hoping to find something Part Time to compensate for the expensive tuition).
    From what I hear (I've called them many times), I am qualified to apply for the Accelerated Program, and I may get accepted even if my GMAT results are a little on the weak end.

    If you do know anything about that program, or know anyone who is in that program, and their thoughts about it, please do let me know.
    I am trying to get as much information as possible during my application process.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi BusinessPro16,

    Sorry I haven't replied earlier, I'll tell you what I know, which unfortunately isn't much.

    We didn't in fact meet the whole class at the beginning of the program. Our orientation has been strictly with our full time class, and even though we've had a few opportunities to network with the executive MBA students when they're in town, we haven't met the accelerated class. Here's what I've heard and some of my thoughts regarding the two programs, which may or may not help.

    If you're qualified to apply to the accelerated program, then you're qualified to apply to the full time program. As you know, my undergrad GPA was crap, and GPA is only one of the criteria. Queen's doesn't have hard cutoffs for GPA/GMAT/work experience, admissions care more about your overall package and how it fits together.

    The full time program will give you a well-rounded experience in terms of both education and networking/having fun in Kingston! The tuition fee is the same for either program, and you're guaranteed a full student loan from RBC (if you're in the full time program - not sure about accelerated). So, I'm inclined to suggest doing this full time, unless you're really in a financially difficult situation and are unwilling to take out a big loan. Bear in mind that for the same tuition, you'd be getting a much more complete experience, and that you only do this once in your life.

    Of course, this is not to say that the accelerated program is inferior, but rather it is mostly designed for people who still work full time during their MBA. Those in the accelerated program also have significantly more work experience than those in the full time program, as well as managerial experience (check out the class profiles on our website), and this might also be something to think about.

    The associate director of the full time program, Lori Garnier, just recently graduated from the accelerated program herself, so I think she would be a good resource to get in touch with (if you haven't already done so) espcially if you're comparing the two programs. She's also very nice and approachable.

    That's about as much as I know... good luck with your GMAT and applications!

    ReplyDelete